Ferritin blood test measures the level of ferritin.High levels of ferritin can be indicative of an iron storage disorder such as hemochromatosis. Other causes of a high ferritin level are chronic inflammatory conditions such as liver disease or rheumatoid arthritis, or some types of cancer.
Thereof, what does it mean to have high iron saturation?
The serum transferrin saturation test measures the amount of iron bound to transferrin — a protein that carries iron in the blood. Saturation values of more than 45% are too high. The serum ferritin test measures the amount of iron that the body has stored.
Furthermore, what does high TSAT mean?
1 A TSAT level of >50% is more suggestive of iron overload, as it increases the likelihood of direct transfer of iron to parenchymal tissues. TSAT levels of >50%, however, are less common than elevated serum ferritin levels.
How is high iron saturation treated?
- Phlebotomy. Phlebotomy, or venesection, is a regular treatment to remove iron-rich blood from the body.
- Chelation. Iron chelation therapy involves taking oral or injected medicine to remove excess iron from the body.
- Dietary changes. Dietary changes to limit iron intake can help reduce symptoms.
How do you lower iron saturation?
Lifestyle and home remedies
- Avoid iron supplements and multivitamins containing iron. These can increase your iron levels even more.
- Avoid vitamin C supplements. Vitamin C increases absorption of iron.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid eating raw fish and shellfish.